Koon Lau is one of the head coaches at Team Octopus. He has much experience in the martial arts and has a teaching career that spans over many years.
Koon started off his martial arts career at the age of 12 with Tang Soo Do. After winning various karate tournaments and achieving black belt status, he became a karate teacher during his high school years. Due to his devotion and passion for the martial arts, he decided to branch out to other forms and began training in Muay Thai, boxing and MMA.
He also started to train in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu under UFC veteran, Diego Saraiva. He began competing in various BJJ tournaments since he was a white belt and continues to do so today as a brown belt, representing Diego Saraiva and Roberto Traven.
His goal is to continue to learn and teach others about how martial arts can help boost self-confidence, promote good health, and stay in great shape.
Some of his major achievements include:
- LUTADOR 2009 1st Place: White Belt Master Feather Division
- NAGA World Cup 2010 2nd Place: Blue Master Feather Division
- NAGA U.S. Nationals 2010 1st Place: Blue Master Feather Division
- NAGA U.S. Nationals 2010 1st Place: Intermediate Master Feather Division
- LUTADOR March 13 2010 1st Place: Blue Master Feather Division
- LUTADOR March 13 2010 2nd Place: Intermediate Master Feather Division
- LUTADOR CHALLENGE 2011 1st Place: Purple Master Feather Division
- IBJJF Miami Open 2011 1st Place: Master Feather Purple Belt Division
- Grapplers Quest 2011 1st Place: Advanced Master No-Gi Division,
- Grappler s Quest 2011 2nd Place: Adult Purple Belt Gi Division
- IBJJF Pan Am 2012 1st Place: Purple Belt Gi Division, 3rd Place: Purple Belt Absolute Division
- IBJJF Atlanta Open 2012 1st Place: Purple Belt Gi Division, 1st Place: Purple Belt Absolute Divsion
- IBJJF World Jiu-jitsu Championship Masters/Seniors 2012 1st Place: Purple Belt Division